Tuesday 14 February 2012

Happy Valentine's Day!



Believe it or not, my friends, I don't care it's Valentine's Day today. Not in a 'I say I don't care but I'm actually  slightly angry I'm alone again' kind of way, but in a more 'I don't care because I am ok with being alone and don't feel like celebrating anything other than hey just another great day of my fabulous life!' kind of way.

The origins of today's day have something to do with a martyr called Valentine who died for his religious convictions, therefore not for an actual demoiselle who may or may not have stolen his heart. It seems that some people around the 14th century decided to set-up a tradition of associating this particular day with romantic love. Hence it is a purely fabricated celebration with no real 'romatic love' origin, except for one man's love for God or religion.

Nothing wrong with celebrating love, I say. But stop telling us we have to buy heart shaped trinkets and give them to The One we love or feel really depressed about not having  The One to love in our lives!

But despite being the marketing monster of today (following closely behind the Christmas money making machine, currently the market leader!), Valentine's day is indeed another beautiful day of our lives. So this year I decided to embrace it rather than hate it!  I decided today I wil be cheerful and happy and I pledge to love myself and give myself the gift of love to show I care.

4 comments:

  1. If you did have 'The One', would you mind if he ignored Valentine's Day and showed his appreciation of you in other ways?

    ReplyDelete
  2. As long as it involves cupcakes :))

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heh, you're easy to please!

    ReplyDelete